Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Spellbinder's Nestabilities Storage Solution + Positioning Rubber Stamps in your Cuttlebug Die Cutter



I browse a lot of craft blogs checking out the cool new cards and stamping projects everyone's making. I kept seeing two foreign words
pop up, one "Cuttlebug" and two "Nestabilities". For years I've been collecting Marvy and Carla Craft paper punches, but this gets
expensive and takes up SO much space in my craft drawers. I had never thought about getting a die cutting machine as an alternative
to paper punches, but now there is an affordable one that does it all!

After you get the machine you'll need to buy dies. A die is a thin metal piece in a certain shape (like paper punch shapes, scallops,
leaves, flowers, tags etc.) Depending on the brand these are really thin or have a big chunk of foam and plastic base on them. No
matter what it's like you can usually use it in the Cuttlebug. I've successfully tried out Sizzix (both the sizzlits and big dies,) Cuttlebug,
Spellbinder's Nestabilities and Bosskut brand dies in my Cuttlebug machine. They are all great, but if you're a serious paper crafter you
just have to check out all the Nestabilities (shapes that fit over each other in about 1/4" to 1/2" increments - nesting dies.) It will bring
your card making, rubber stamping and scrapbook layouts to a whole new professional looking level!
No more careful measuring and cutting out frames or mat layers. Just roll your cardstock through the cuttlebug with your die ;)

I have created a step by step tutorial for positioning your rubber stamped images with the Nestability dies in a Cuttlebug Die cutting machine. You can see that along with more info at:
www.theenchantedgallery.com/nestabilities.html

I only purchased a few styles so far, and instead of waiting for my scallops to come I made a quick project using the petite ovals alone. I'll be adding more, and better, example art as soon as I get the rest of the Nestabilities collection. I just had to help spread the word since I think these will help a lot of rubber stampers spruce up their cards.

I also came up with a really easy and TINY way to store these dies. I took a few 4"x6" sheets of thin chipboard (you could also use the thick sheets from the back of scrapbook paper or note pads, cereal boxes etc.) I then took my cropadile (or hole punch) and made 3 holes close to the edges and put keyring hoops in to make a mini binder. Attach two magnet strips to each page to hold your metal dies in place. The dies are so thin the book is easy to flip pages and isn't bulky or akward at all! I look at this and think... Wow, imagine how much space all of these designs in big ol paper punches would take up!

Have fun ;)

No comments: